Sold or Off the Market
Please check the other FSBO listings
Appalachian Mountain Realty Guide
for more Mountain Real Estate listings.
Whitetop, Grayson County, Virginia
Brand new VA mountain home. Maintenance free construction for your
convenience and ease of ownership. Master bedroom with Jacuzzi bathtub
and separate shower. Large family room with full bath on lower level.
Upgraded kitchen with maple cabinets and GE appliances, Pella doors and
windows throughout. Two decks, one on each level, with a gazebo style
roof on the main level, perfect for additional dining outside. Decks
measure 821 sq ft total. Dual zone heat/ac for your comfort.
Near two highest mountains in Virginia; Mount Rogers and Whitetop
Mountains. Also near Appalachian Trail, Virginia Creeper Trail and
Grayson Highlands State Park.
Perfect location for adventure and relaxation.
New deed restricted development, no trailers allowed.
For Sale by Owner Homes and Land Real Estate
Advertise your For Sale by Owner
Appalachian Mountain Realty Guide
- Site Map
County VA Information
Grayson County VA was formed in 1793 from part of Wythe County VA and
was named for William Grayson, one of Virginia's first two senators.
William and Rosamond Bourne came to the Knob Fork area on the New
River in 1765. They found eight other families already living
here. William Bourne was elected as first Clerk of the County at the
first court session held in a log barn located on the Bourne farm near
the present town of Fries.
In 1850, the Grayson County VA seat was moved from Old Town in the
eastern part of the county to Independence, a more centrally located
site. The first courthouse was built in Independence and served until
1904, when it was condemned. A new courthouse was completed by builder
E.L. Robbins in 1908. Today, the Historic 1908 Courthouse functions as
the art and cultural center of Grayson County.
Isolated by its topography, Grayson County Virginia saw little action
during the Civil War, but after the war, the period of its greatest
economic growth and prosperity began. Railroads were built; power dams
and sawmill industries created jobs; farmers grew cash crops and
livestock. The county's first textile mill was built at Mouth of
Wilson by Col. Fields J. McMillan, and Col. F. H. Fries harnessed the
power of the New River for a second mill. The most accessible timber
and iron ore was depleted before World War I and many of the
prosperous boom towns like Fairwood, Troutdale and Whitetop nearly
disappeared. Between the two World Wars Grayson people coped with the
depression by working the land and enlisting in the Civilian
Conservation Corps. About 2500 Graysonites saw service in World War
II, but after the war many found work elsewhere.
After a lifetime of working away from Grayson County VA, many older
people came back to retire and enjoy the beauty and splendor of the
mountains. Other retirees have "discovered" Grayson County
Virginia and many
people have found its clear air, clean water, low crime rate and
friendly people to be the perfect place to raise a family. Grayson
County is an ideal spot in which to vacation. With spectacular
mountains to hike, crystal clear waters to fish or canoe, wildlife and
wildflowers to observe, and festivals which feature local culture and
mountain crafts, there is something for everyone in Grayson County VA.
Virginia Chamber of Commerce
Washington County Chamber of Commerce
Washington County VA Attractions
Washington County VA Government Information
Grayson Highlands State Park
Virginia Creeper Trail
George Washington & Jefferson National Forests
Rogers National Recreation Area
Town of Independence History
The Town of Independence came into being in 1850 as the
settlement of a dispute about where to locate the county seat. At that
time, a controversy arose between the people of Old Town and people of
the Elk Creek area. Each group wanted the County seat in its area. The
final decision, made by three commissioners from adjacent counties, was
to locate on the site favored by a group of "independents" and to call
the town Independence. These commissioners hiked to the top of Point
Lookout Mountain and looked down into a grove of trees where 5 streams
met and decided that would be the site for the new town. Independence is
located 15 miles west of Galax, 40 miles east of Marion, 29 miles south
of Wytheville, and 10 miles north of Sparta, North Carolina. The town
provides water, sewer, police, and garbage services.
The population in 2000 was 971. Independence is an incorporated town
with a Mayor/Council form of government
VA - History and Facts
The county's terrain is rolling and the official elevation is 2,500
feet. Thirty-one miles of the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway form the
eastern border of the county.
Early land surveys show an attempt to settle the area now known as
Floyd as early as the 1740's. Land records show settlements by 1748
and 1750. However, the county was not officially formed until January
15,1831, when an act of the Virginia General Assembly created Floyd
from neighboring Montgomery County. The county was named after the
governor of Virginia, John Floyd.
The current County seat, originally named Jacksonville for the seventh
president, Andrew Jackson (1829-1837), was completed in 1834. Manassah
Tice (5 acres) and Abraham Phlegar (1 acre) gave land for the county
seat. The town was incorporated in 1858 and its name was changed from
Jacksonville to Floyd in 1896. Floyd has some 238,578 acres and rises
some 2,432 feet above sea level. Buffalo Mountain, at 3,971 feet, is
the highest point in the county.
Shaped like an elongated triangle, the county lies between the scenic
Blue Ridge Parkway and two interstates. (No four-lane highways are
within our borders, but thirty-one miles of the Parkway are in Floyd
Floyd is a county of small mountains, valleys, ridges, and small
streams. No water flows into the county; all sources of water arise
within the county and flow out of the county's borders. Little River,
the county's largest waterway is formed by three main branches, or
forks: the East, West, and South (also known as Dodd's Creek) forks.
Nickel, cobalt, iron, copper, arsenic and soapstone were mined at one
time in various parts of the county.
The spiritual needs of the county are served by a variety of
denominations. Topeco Church of the Brethren is believed to be the
first brick church in the county. While the church was formed in 1800,
the brick structure was not completed until 1857, at a cost of $1300.
Iddings Chapel was the first Methodist church in the county,
established in 1920.
The first Baptist church was New Haven, established in 1857.
Jacksonville Presbyterian Church was the first Presbyterian church. It
was established in 1853.
According to the 2000 Census estimates, Floyd County has a population
of 13,874. The median age of the county's occupants is 37.8. The
population for the
Town of Floyd is estimated at 432.
Climate Temperature Averages:
Average Rainfall: 43"
Average Snowfall: 21"
Average Relative: 67%
Floyd County has a land area of 383 square miles and is located in the
Blue Ridge province of the southwestern part of Virginia. The county
seat, The Town of Floyd, is one hour southwest of Roanoke on U.S. 221.
Floyd is one hour west of Martinsville, and 90 minutes north of
Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
The county's terrain is rolling and the official elevation is 2,500
feet. Thirty-one miles of the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway form the
majority of the eastern border of the county. Because Floyd County is
the point of origin for its rivers and streams, there is only a slight
flood hazard in the county.
A Brief History of Washington
Washington County was named for
General George Washington before he was elected President. A history of
Washington County, Virginia might include all the territory originally
encompassed in Augusta County, formed by the Virginia House of Burgesses
in 1738; Botetourt County in 1770; Fincastle County in 1772; and
Washington County established on December 7, 1776. Each of the
subsequent counties split from the Washington County of 1776: Russell
County in 1786, Lee County in 1793, Tazewell County in 1800, Scott
County in 1814, Smyth County in 1832, Wise County in 1836, Buchanan
County in 1858, Dickenson County in 1880. Each has a history of its own.
With a few exceptions, this article will be concerned with the current
boundaries of Washington County, Virginia.
The Great Valley of Virginia was
a 'superhighway' for various tribes of original inhabitants of what is
now known as the United States of America. Relics, such as arrowheads
and tomahawk stones that attest to the presence of American Indians and
continue to be found in local plowed fields. Scotch-Irish and German
Settlers who traveled from Pennsylvania down what was called the Great
Indian Trail encounter those people and the buffalo, which grazed along
The American Revolution
In the fall of 1780, four hundred
men from Washington County were mustered to travel under the command of
Colonel William Campbell to overcome the British troops under the
command of Patrick Ferguson. North Carolina and Tennessee militia from
various counties joined with the Virginians to pursue the British and
engage them at King's Mountain, South Carolina. The "Overmountain Men"
were ordered to yell like Indians during this attack. The confusion that
resulted from the yelling and exceptional marksmanship as well as other
tactics helped cause the death of Ferguson and the defeat of his troops
October 7, 1780.
Starting in the mid-1800's
railroads carried passengers and materials through and from Washington
County. Communities along the main route from Washington Springs to
Goodson (now Bristol) included Glade Spring, Emory, Meadowview, Wolf
Hills (now Abingdon), Fractionsville, Wyndale and Wallace. One line went
from Glade Spring to Saltville by way of Litz, Keywood and Clinchburg;
another line extended from Bristol to Mendota; another headed southeast
from Abingdon to West Jefferson, North Carolina by way of Watauga,
Barron (now Alvarado), Delmar, Drowning Ford Station, Hellena, Damascus,
Laureldale, Taylors Valley, Creek Junction, Cant Work and Green Cove.
For a period of time passengers arriving on a Virginia line at Bristol,
Virginia had to disembark and walk a short distance to climb aboard a
Tennessee train on a Tennessee line if they wanted to continue south.
Roads suitable for automobiles have replaced the lines from Damascus to
Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee and from Damascus to Shady Valley, Tennessee.
The Virginia Creeper Trail is a linear park that has replaced the
Norfolk & Western rails and crosses from Abingdon to the North Carolina
A major part of Washington County
is in the Great Valley region of Virginia, where Abingdon, the County
Seat, was established. To the north are the North Fork of the Holston
River and the Clinch mountain range; to the south and east are River
Knobs, the junction of the Middle Fork and the South Fork of the Holston
River, and the mountain ranges known as the Holston and the Virginia
Iron. The combination of springs and elevation provided waterpower,
harnessed behind small dams for milling grains and for sawing lumber
from the abundant stands of trees. Water powered electrification with
direct current brought light and heat to some homes early in the 20th
Century. Grayson, Smyth, and Washington Counties join at the top of the
second highest mountain (5,520 feet) in Virginia formerly known as
"Meadow", because of its prominent bald field. Winter snows in that open
field have caused the change of its name to White Top Mountain.
The southern boundary line of
Virginia was assigned to parallel 36&#deg;30'. In 1749 when Peter
Jefferson, father of Thomas Jefferson, surveyed from about where Patrick
County is today, he kept moving farther north away from the assigned
parallel till he discontinued his survey east of Damascus. In 1800, the
northeast tip of the new state of Tennessee joined Virginia and North
Carolina on Pond Mountain. Tennessee continues on that northern parallel
in Washington County, until it jogs south but not to 36o30'. Three
stories are told about the Notch: (1) the surveyor was inebriated (2)
iron deposits in the Iron Mountains interfered with readings of the
compass and (3) the strong will of Tennesseans prevailed.
In the County Seat, history can
be found within the record books of the Washington County Courthouse, in
the cemeteries dating before the Revolution, in the homes throughout the
historic district, and dedicated markers. One historic house constructed
in 1832 was the home of Brigadier General Francis Preston. After General
Preston's death the Holston Conference of the Methodist Church acquired
the property. On March 15, 1860 classes began in Martha Washington
College for women, the first such recognition of Martha Custis, the wife
of George Washington. The "War Between the States" interrupted classes
while a hospital temporarily occupied the College. After that war
classes resumed and continued until 1931. The enlarged campus of four
buildings was purchased to change function once more to become Martha
Russell County VA Chamber of
Town of Abingdon Virginia
Chartered in 1778, Abingdon has
long been a center for culture and commerce. The first English
speaking settlement to be incorporated in the watershed of the
Mississippi, Abingdon was the principal distribution point for mail
and supplies on the Great Road to the farthermost wilderness of the
West. Abingdon was truly "the Gateway to America’s Frontier." It
offers great history, charm and romance!
DAY ONE Afternoon Arrival
Stop by the Abingdon Convention & Visitors Bureau (335 Cummings
Street) to find all there is to do in Historic Abingdon. Begin with
the self-guided walking tour of the twenty-block historic district
(brochure available at the Visitors Center). Stops will include the
Fields-Penn 1860 House Museum, the Martha Washington Inn, the Barter
Theatre, the Washington County Courthouse, and the Tavern. Check into
your accommodations (we have superb hotels and bed & breakfasts and
can assist you in finding lodging), and then enjoy a delicious dinner
at one of the many fine restaurants.
Start your day with a short drive to the "Decorator District" for some
serious shopping. Here you will find items for every taste ranging
from china to collectibles. Be sure to visit Dixie Pottery, offering
over 100,000 square feet of items from around the world. Return to
Abingdon for lunch at one of the fine restaurants. Stroll downtown and
browse through the many fine shops offering antiques, fine clothing,
and more! If you love fine Appalachian crafts, you will want to visit
the Cave House Craft Shop also located on Main Street.
After lunch make the short drive to White’s Mill. White’s Mill is one
of only a few remaining mills of its type. See broom makers and other
crafters at work. Return to Abingdon where you can have dinner at the
historic Martha Washington Inn. After dinner walk across the street to
the Barter Theatre, The State Theatre of Virginia, for an evening of
professional theatre. The Barter launched the careers of such notable
actors as Gregory Peck, Ernest Borgnine, and Patricia Neal.
Today continue your exploration of the arts. Last night you saw the
performing arts, today enjoy the visual arts. The tour begins at the
William King Regional Arts Center, A Partner of the Virginia Museum of
Fine Arts. While here enjoy exhibits in four galleries, talk with the
artists-in-residence, and shop the Museum Store. Afterwards travel to
the Arts Depot. Housed in an actual railroad depot are several
artists-in-residence offering works in a variety of media.
After lunch consider a walk or hike on the Virginia Creeper Trail
beginning in town on Pecan Street. Bike rental and shuttle services
are available. Or, visit Abingdon Winery and Vineyards or Wolf Creek
Winery for tours and tastings. Children will enjoy the large play
ground area, swimming pools, and skate park located at the Harry L.
Coomes Recreation Center on the east end of town. We can offer other
ideas for activities while in Abingdon, or perhaps after all you’ve
done, you might just want to take in a movie at the state-of-the-art
If you are seeking a special experience while in the area, Abingdon
offers unique services such as hot air balloon rides, carriage rides,
ghost tours, and fishing guide services. Just ask for more details!
Virginia State Parks
The Commonwealth of Virginia acquired the tunnel and 100 surrounding
acres in 1967 from the Natural Tunnel Chasm and Caverns Corp. to
establish Natural Tunnel State Park. Approximately 750 additional
acres were later acquired and the park opened in 1971.
Natural Tunnel, called the "Eighth Wonder of the World" by William
Jennings Bryan, has been attracting sightseers to the mountains of
southwestern Virginia for more than 100 years. Today it is the focal
point of Natural Tunnel State Park, a park which offers visitors not
only spectacular sights but also swimming, camping, picnicking,
hiking, a visitor center, an amphitheater and interpretive programs.
The creation of Natural Tunnel began more than a million years ago in
the early glacial period when groundwater bearing carbonic acid
percolated through crevices and slowly dissolved surrounding limestone
and dolomite bedrock. Then, what is now Stock Creek was probably
diverted underground to continue carving the tunnel slowly over many
centuries. The walls of the tunnel show evidence of prehistoric life,
and many fossils can be found in the creek bed and on tunnel walls.
Location: Natural Tunnel State Park is in Scott County, approximately
13 miles north of Gate City and 20 miles north of Kingsport, Tenn.. To
get there, from I-81, take U.S. 23 North to Gate City (approximately
20 miles). Take State Route 871 and go one mile east to park entrance.
Road State Park was purchased in 1993; the park is approximately
200 acres that lie astride the "Wilderness Road." Wilderness Road was
carved by Daniel Boone in 1775 to open America’s first western
frontier. Most notable in the park are the Karlan Mansion, built in
the 1870s, and Martin's Station, a replica of a fort built there in
1775. Click here to visit the Friends of Wilderness Road's website,
which provides details about the fort.
Karlan Mansion is unfurnished but available for rent for special
events. Bikes can be rented to ride the Wilderness Road Trail that
passes through the park. The park also has a self-guided hiking trail
as well as interpretive and environmental educational programs. Snacks
and other merchandise are available seasonally at the Wilderness Road
Outpost, located by Wilderness Road Trail.
Location: At the intersection of Routes 58 and 923, five miles west of
Ewing, Va., and six miles east of Cumberland Gap National Historical
Park, Middlesboro, Ky.
For Sale by Owner Virginia, Georgia and Western North Carolina Mountain real estate listings
near Blue Ridge Parkway, Chattahoochee National Forest, Santeetlah Lake NC and Asheville North Carolina acerage. For Sale by Owner
real estate directory of Western North Carolina real estate listings, high elevation
mountain view homes, lake view lots, lake view acres, log homes,
cabins, homesites, home sites, land,
acreage, acerage, acres, acers, creek front, waterfall, lakefront homes,
lakefront lots, lake view
golf course lots, vacation rental chalet, retirement homes and investment properties. For sale by
owner properties in Andrews, Asheville NC, Hendersonville NC, Cherokee, Murphy, Marble, Robbinsville
Hayesville NC, Brasstown and Franklin NC. Real estate listings in
Clay County, Cherokee County, Graham County, Henderson County, Swain County. For sale by
owner homes and lots on or close to Great Smoky Mountains
National Park, Lake Nantahala, Hiawassee Lake,
Lake Hiwassee, Fontana Lake,
Lake Chatuge and Lake Lure, USFS, US Forest Service land, United
States Forest Service, . Homes and land close to Nantahala Gorge, Nantahala
Outdoor Center, Nantahala River rafting, Appalachian Trail, Apalachian
Trail, Appalachian trail and the Great Smokey Mountains